Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Acupuncture
To the girls who do Acupuncture for Infertility purposes, can I get your input on how you feel about it? We had an Acupuncturist come to our meeting last night and perform little "mini" treatments on all of this girls, and I'm just curious if it's worth it. I've always been a little skeptical, but I did find it a little crazy how different I felt after just 4 needles being put in my ears! Another girl claimed her period pains went away within a few minutes of treatment. My intuition was telling me to go for it, but at this point, everything is coming down to money. I really want to try it, but I'm just curious to hear how girls who have gone through it feel about it. All comments are welcome!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I don't really understand it, but if I could afford to go I would. I think that there is so much evidence of the benefits for all areas of health, but especially fertility that there must be truth to it. It has been around forever and treats many other things. I would say try it for a few months and see if it makes a difference, but it can be expensive so that is of course something to consider.
ReplyDeleteI didn't do it. It was recommended before and after my IVF, but we chose not to because of money. However, my friend just did it and LOVED IT!
ReplyDeleteThis is a tough one. I did it for almost 2 years and well, saw little benefit. In the beginning (and mostly throughout) I did notice I got up in the middle of the night to pee less often, but as for my cycles they were the same. My cramps=the same. My pregnancy luck=the same. I did get pregnant 4 months into it but it ended in an early mc and never happened again. Did it with all of my IVF cycles and well...we know where I am now!! Some people find it to be WONDERFUL and relaxing which I think is where a lot of the benefit comes from. During a session, listening to the calming music I would be relaxed and some times fall asleep even, but it didn't linger too long! Maybe my high strung personality? Most in our area are about $80-100 a session and they recommend it weekly. I found a lady that did it for $60 but with no true visual benefit during weekly sessions (or adverse issues since stopping) I couldn't justify the money. I have researched the crap out of it and for every article that says it helps with implantation doing it before and after transfer, there is another that says laughing and listening to calming music does the same. I think a lot is mental and I am so OCD I think I cancel out the calming aspect bc I stress myself out thinking....what if we didn't do it long enough, or were the needles put in the right place? etc. See my craziness?!?!?
ReplyDeleteNow, if you ever had a REALLY bad knot in your back they can 'cup' you and that works miracles!!
My verdict is still out on it for fertility. I used to do regular appointments to help with my migraines (with a different acupuncturist) and I can say without a doubt it helped. But I've been going to a new acupuncturist who specializes in fertility (she asked that we try treatments for 4-6months before moving on to IVF), we have an unbelievable rate because of my first acupuncturist but I have to tell you I can't see much of a difference in my chart. I've only ovulated once in the last two months since starting so I can't say its helping much yet. I do know it makes me calmer and I'm definitely have more energy during the week but in terms of my cycles and stuff where it should be helping I have not seen improvement. Granted she did think I needed tons of work. I wouldn't worry too much if you can't do it, definitely don't stress yourself over it cause for each person that works they'll be one person who thinks it doesn't. You shouldn't be stressing financially over it though.
ReplyDeleteI didn't do it for fertility, I actually used it to induce labor- I went into it thinking it was complete crap, but I was 13 days over and willing to try anything to avoid an induction. And it worked. So I don't think it's complete crap anymore.
ReplyDeleteIf you want to try and find an affordable place, try Googling "Community acupuncture". There are places/people that do cheaper sessions in a group setting- I paid $15, and sat in a lounge chair in big room, and the acupuncturist came around to stick the needles in as people came in, and then she'd come around to check on you periodically or take them out if necessary. (And if you freaked out or desperately needed to pee, you can easily get her attention). I wouldn't have paid $100 for a session, but $15 was definitely doable.
wow thank you all for the amazing info!
ReplyDelete