Today I received a text message from my ex-boyfriend who I haven't talked to in forever, and every time i hear from him, I start remembering the past and all of the stuff I have gone through in my life.. So bare with me, I think it's time I get this off of my chest..
When I was 13 years old, I was always harassed by this big black guy named Tim in my science class (I don't mean to bring up race, but it's part of the story). He always called me his "bitch", but I was so young and shy, I always just uncomfortably laughed it off. One day our class headed to the star lab, which was basically a giant pitch black dome where everyone would lay down and gaze at the stars that was projected on to the dome itself.. Well, he apparently had his mind set on other things, because the next thing I knew he had his hands all over me... Yes, this may be graphic, but his hands ended up in my pants and I was scared shitless.. I had never been touched before, and I just remember how mortified and disgusted I was..
Later on, I told my best friend at the time about what had happened, and the next thing I knew she took it upon herself to tell school officials. I was called into the principle's office, and then escorted to a police station where I had to give a video taped explanation about what had happened. The school decided it would be in my best interest to stay at home for a few weeks before returning.
Since Tim was close to being 15 at that time, and I was 13, it was considered statutory rape. He went to juvenile detention, and was expelled from our school district for good. The story ended up on the front page of the Kansas City star, and everyone in my school ended up finding out that I was the "girl" that had the popular basketball player expelled from our school. I lost almost every single friend I had except for a rare few, and I was known as the "racist slut" from that point on until I graduated high school. It ruined my entire life..
My ex-boyfriend, Matt, who was my brothers best friend at the time and was 3 years older than me, was from another school district. He knew what kind of person I was, so he loved me even knowing what I had been through. We dated for almost 2 years before moving on, and just a few months after we broke up, I started dating Keith.
Years into Keith and I's relationship, I found out that the Tim guy in the mean time had been transferred to not only the school district of my ex-boyfriend, but his FREAKING school! Somehow Tim found out that Matt was my ex, and started harassing him, and Matt who is still my friend to this day, told him to stop talking crap about me.. Well, next thing I knew Tim told my ex to meet him out in some random field after school, and the whole school had shown up to witness their fight (which Matt was NOT a fighter, he couldn't hurt a fly).. I guess the fight was pretty brutal and both Tim and my ex got really hurt, but it astonishes me that my ex never told me about this.. I found out from my brother who didn't tell me until years later..
So now every time I hear from Matt, I just get this rush of amazing gratitude I have for sticking up for me. My husband is also an amazing guy, since we have gone to school together forever, and not once did he judge me. He looked past all of the silly rumors and hurtful things people said about me, and saw the kind of girl I really was. It took a lot of strength for him to date the girl who had a reputation!! So yeah, I've had 2 boyfriends in my life, lost my virginity to my husband, and I'm the girl who will forever be known as the "slut" from the people at my school. I rarely think about the incident anymore, but it definitely made me grow up faster than the average person. I hope this all made sense. It's been my deep dark secret for over 11 years now! Phew, I feel better!
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow. I am so sorry that all of that happened to you. I think you may be surprised how many people read this and can relate in their own way even if their story is different. The common thread is that many of us have been preyed on and violated by men, but even MORe of us have realized the hard way that crowds will crucify you with lies and never show remorse.
ReplyDeleteI really hope that you were able to see that that jackass was just one person and not translate that into a fear of big men or black men (sometimes even when we don't want it to that's the way our mind reacts to things) and i'm REALLY glad that you were able to find a loyal few who stuck by you, stuck up for you, and even fought for your honor. Real friends are hard to come by.
Thanks so much for sharing.
What an incredibly difficult experience for such a young age. Most individuals that deal with this deal with it on very private terms. Even though your story was made public, at least the little hoodlum got some time away, as he deserved.
ReplyDeleteIt is time and memories like this one that is a great reminder how awesome your husband really is.
I hope you gained some strength through this situation.
Oh wow, what a story ;( What a creep! :( I can't imagine going through all that. Glad you ended up with your prince and a happily ever after :) Thanks for sharing your story, I know it must have not been easy. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awful thing to go through at such a young (and innocent) age. From your writing it seems like you have overcome it though, which is so impressive and admirable. It sounds like this guy was headed down the wrong track to begin with, and you where just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry it went on for as long as it did, but you've come out on top, and stronger because of it. I'm glad writing about it made you feel better :) (hugs!)
I'm really sorry girl. Sounds like you had a really rough childhood. What a scumbag. I am thankful your ex stood up for you! But sorry he had to get in a fight. At least you know he will always care about you! Seems like a very nice guy.
ReplyDeleteI know what thats like to be abused. I've been abused many times.
ReplyDeleteI think thats amazing that your ex stood up for you that much! Some people arnt that lucky to have so many people care for them at once.
I'm glad writting about this and opening up made you feel better.