Saturday, May 26, 2012

My Birth Plan

My doctor here in Virginia Beach asked me the other day if I have started a birth plan yet. If I hadn't, he wanted me to start one.

Ughhh... What the hell is a birth plan? I even asked the women in my family who have had babies this question, and they laughed at me. A BIRTH PLAN??

Don't I just show up, and do whatever needs to be done to get the babies out safely? LOL!

Honestly, I don't even want to even think about the whole labor process. My doctor who will be delivering these babies is pretty close with my family (not only did my mom work for him, but he delivered me!) and I trust his judgement 100%. We discussed if both babies are head down, we can try for  a vaginal birth, and if that fails, head to a C-section.. Sounds great! Oh, and lots of drugs.. There is no way in hell I want to do this medication free!

Honestly, I do not want to offend anyone on their birth plans, but that stuff just isn't for me. If I have this huge plan set out on how I want it to go, chances are I will just be disappointed. I'm just a *go with the flow* kind of gal and it makes me feel more relaxed about that day NOT having a plan. Sounds totally dumb, I know.. But to each their own!



4 comments:

  1. I didn't really have a "plan" either. My plan was to get the baby out quickly and safely and with as little pain as possible :) But even if I did write up a plan, it would have went to shit anyways since she came two months early via emergency c-section! You're right, a birth plan is a personal choice. Everyone has different views on putting one together. To each their own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree to each their own. I think it helps for those who have a definite idea of how they want things to go....epidural vs none, being tethered to the bed the entire time or in the case of say an emergency (God forbid) and they come early that certain wishes are carried out. But you're right its not for everyone and it certainly is a personal decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a birth plan up and it was about 4 sentences. My biggest concern was that I didn't want the nurses to give him a bottle. That was the main reason I wrote one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I've read, writing out a birth plan is helpful for people who have very strong opinions on what they DON'T want to happen in delivery. I'm with you on this one -- I'm not sure if writing a birth plan will even be helpful at all. I guess I feel that with twins it's a whole other ballpark, you know? I'll have to chat with my OB about this more, but that's how I feel right now.

    ReplyDelete