Monday, February 4, 2013

Parenthood.. sucks.. sometimes..

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep.

That does exist, right? Parents eventually do get to sleep at some point during parenthood, right? Anyone? I don't even care if it's not true. Lie to me and tell me it gets better. They do sleep longer than a few hours at a time. I need to hear it. SOMEONE!

So the boys have only slept through the night, twice. And let me tell you, every night when my head hits my pillow, I pray to god that it will happen again. That I will magically wake up and I will realize I just got 6-7 hours of sleep. But nope, within a few hours I am woken up by babbling/crying/screaming. You name it, they do it.

My sweet adorable Everett has learned how to get out of his swaddle. And ladies and gentleman, I take swaddling seriously! Blankets didn't work, so we moved on to Swaddle Me's. When those didn't work, we moved on to the "Miracle Blanket". I am still baffled at how in the heck that kid can bust out of that thing, but he can. And he will. So at 1am this morning, I wake up to the sweetest babbling noises and at that moment, I knew once again he was out of his swaddle. Sure enough, that kid was all over the place enjoying his freedom. I re-swaddled him, he screamed, I fed him, he went back to sleep, and wouldn't you know, I was woken up again at 4:45am this morning to a babbling happy baby. I know what you're thinking, just let him blabble! I wish it ended there. But this sweet babbling eventually wakes up Andrew, which leads to crying.

Don't let this face fool you. Nothing but trouble!! 


So I feel like I am just stuck. I want to sleep train the boys, but I am a softy. I keep repeating to myself, "I don't care. Let them figure it out on their own" but I always cave. I think part of it is because I live with my mom, and I feel awful thinking it's my fault that no one is getting sleep in this house because of my kids. So I am always running in there to get them back to sleep as quickly as possible.

But I am moving out of here in 29 days. I will have my own house again, which means more opportunity to get these boys on track. I hate seeing them so tired in the mornings, and trust me, they don't like dealing with a tired momma!

football time!!! 
Speaking of tired, this deployment is dragging.. Seriously, I. AM. DONE with it.  I need my husband back. I crave being touched and kissed every day. Sometimes I wonder if motherhood is much tougher than I expected because I don't have someone to turn to physically and mentally. Of course I have my mothers help every once in awhile, but there's just that calming factor only a spouse can bring. If I am having a bad moment, his hugs bring me back to earth. His terrible jokes can turn a bad moment into a good one. It sucks missing out on that. But what can you do. All I can do is try to survive, and so far I am. Maybe not gracefully, but I am. 

And on that note, I can hear my little one's waking up from their 30 minute cat nap.. Only 9 hours to go until bedtime!





4 comments:

  1. IT WILL GET BETTER. At least, this is what people tell me. I am probably the worst person to turn to for sleep encouragement. Since my Samantha is 11 months old and has slept through the night TWICE. I think I am a softy too. The CIO didnt work for us (we did try) but she would get so worked up and to the point of no return. She is not the kid that will pass out from exhaustion from crying for an hour. I am finding though she is sleeping better now that she is mobile and exerting more energy. Trust me, I pray to that same sleep God every night too. And I can see how hard it would be with twins and one waking the other!! Hang in there. So happy this deployment is almost over for you!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! First - IT GETS BETTER! Second - YOU'RE NOT ALONE

    Sleep is a learned behavior and sister, once those babies learn it everything else sort of feels like it falls into place. They're happier, they eat better and mama feels like she is (almost) a real person again. Thanks for coming by my site - did you find my post on sleep training? Feel free to email me with any questions, or just to hear that someone else has been through this. Believe me I get how frustrating it can be - and wondering - maybe, just maybe, I have the model of baby that doesn't need sleep? HAHA. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember how I found your blog, but I check in on it from time to time.
    I need to comment because I have felt the same you have before. IT WILL GET BETTER!
    I have three kids (oldest is 4)and I have felt the same you have before. When you don't get enough sleep, everything is hard. It will get better. Hang in there!
    And may I also say I'm so impressed that you can handle twins on your own! Give yourself a serious pat on the back - or pay someone else to do it with a massage :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sleeping sucks - it will get better I promise. Hang in there, Mama. You are doing a wonderful job! I can't imagine handling one baby on my own, let aloe two. You are truly amazing! Praying that you all get some sleep tonight x

    ReplyDelete